Beijing Olympics

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Back in Johannesburg

We landed about this time yesterday morning after a 24 hour trip. Beijing -> Singapore -> Johannesburg. During our 4 hour stopover in Singapore (landed 10pm, left 2am) I grabbed 3 blueberry muffins, a cappuccino and went to sleep on the floor next to the shop. Dad came and kicked me in to action at 1:30am and we got on to our SA flight.

Coming into SA I was faced with a scenario I'd played through my head many times: how to get Andrew's iPod through customs. I bought his iPod in Singapore for 30% cheaper than SA (our local Apple prices are ridiculous when compared with the international prices) but needed to get it through customs. Luckily my Dad was bringing in some rocks to assay them locally, and they were housed in a suspicious box - so when we went through the "nothing to declare" line the guy pulled us over and asked us to open the box. After looking at the rocks and establishing they weren't from Botswana (???) he let us through - and we hadn't even handed in our SARS forms. Hooray!

It's nice to be back in SA. "Nice" is an ok word - not too much emotion, just a few notches above ambivalence. I'd like to spend more time in China - 8 days wasn't enough. Maybe some kind of part-time work or something - but at least I'll be back for the Beijing Olympics in 2008...

Over the next few days/weeks/months I'll be posting more pictures as well as more stories of my experiences in China. Stay tuned via rss!